GB2 Metsä Puukko by HoboForge
“GB2” is a nickname given to the “Gray Bearded Green Beret” by the community. It was first shortened to “GBGB” and then “GB squared” before settling on GB2.
The puukko is a small, general-purpose belt knife of Finnish origin. Traditionally, it has a single continuous curve blade, Scandinavian grind, with a flat spine and a hidden tang. The blade shape and grind are great choices for a knife that is meant for slicing, cutting, and whittling wood.
The traditional length of the puukko blade is the width of one’s palm. The knife typically does not have a ricasso or finger guard as it is meant for slicing (which is a pull stroke) and not for stabbing or thrusting (which is a push stroke). The puukko with no finger guard is something that is “graduated up to” for people that have good knife skills and will use this tool as intended, for slicing and cutting (and not stabbing or thrusting).
The was designed and originally made by me, for me, to capture the essence of this traditional knife. This version adds features that enhance the strength, durability, and overall usefulness of the knife. The term metsä is the Finnish term for “forest”, so it only made sense to call this knife the GB2 Metsä Puukko. This is my take on the traditional puukko, purpose-built for use in the forest.
The GB2 Metsä Puukko is made from simple 1095 steel with a rugged hammered finish; it replaces the hidden tang with a full tang; the flat spine has an ever so slight drop on the point to bring it a bit closer to center without sacrificing the continuous curve on the edge. The spine has been sharpened to a crisp 90-degrees for processing tinder and striking a ferrocerium rod, and the tang is exposed on the end and has that same 90-degree so that it can be used for the same purposes; the handle is made from beautiful birds-eye maple that has been enhanced to bring out the grain. The edge is an extremely sharp traditional Scandinavian grind for ease of maintenance in the field. The traditional Scandi grind has a slight convexity for added strength.
The GB2 Metsä Puukko is only made in small batches by hand. This is a custom knife that is hammered out, and each one will be unique in its pattern between the hammer marks and the grain of the birds-eye maple. These are not “production” knives. They are also not a “safe queen”, all pretty and polished and only brought out to show off to friends. This is a 100% functional utility knife designed for rugged use in the woods. The real beauty is in its simplicity and function.
Each knife comes with a handmade brown leather sheath. Both the knife and sheath are proudly made in the USA.
- Blade Length: 4.25”
- Overall Length: 8.5”
- Blade Thickness: 1/8”
- 1095 High Carbon Steel with Hammered Finish
- Grind: Scandinavian
- Made by HoboForge in North Carolina
LIFETIME WARRANTY on the blade
- These knives are made by hand and your knife may vary slightly from the one pictured. Each one will have unique hammer marks and wood grain that will make your knife unique.
- Be sure you understand how to properly maintain your knife and keep it oiled.
- You should wet form your leather sheath before carrying your knife, and you should be conditioning your leather.
- This knife has NO FINGER GUARD OR RICASSO and is not meant for stabbing or thrusting, or for users with poor or undeveloped knife handling skills. Stabbing or thrusting with this knife can result in your hand slipping up onto the unprotected sharp edge of the knife resulting in injury. The user assumes all risks and is responsible for safe and proper use.
- The profile of this blade is not meant for prying, driving, or removing screws, or “torture testing” with the tip of the knife. Proper use is important to the life of the knife.
- This knife is perfectly suited for the appropriate splitting of wood (batoning) material when applicable (one-stick fire, creating friction fire sets, softwood kindling, etc.). Splitting hardwoods or large diameter wood that forces you to baton the tip of the blade, etc., are not necessary or recommended.
Learn about all the gear for 2022 that Gray Bearded Recommends in this Video
Is there a warranty on the Puukko?
Yes it has a lifetime warranty on the blade
What is the blade made out of?
1095 High Carbon Steel with Hammered Finish
What does handmade mean?
It means that these Puukko knives are made by hand. This means that each Puukko might vary slightly.