GB2 Puukko & Leather Sheath
“GB2” is a nickname given to the “Gray Bearded Green Beret” by the community. It was first shortened to “GBGB” and then “GB squared” before settling on GB2.
The puukko is a small, general-purpose belt knife of Finnish origin. Traditionally, it has a single continuous curve blade, Scandinavian grind, with a flat spine and a hidden tang. The blade shape and grind are great choices for a knife that is meant for slicing, cutting, and whittling wood.
The traditional length of the puukko blade is the width of one’s palm. The knife typically does not have a ricasso or finger guard as it is meant for slicing (which is a pull stroke) and not for stabbing or thrusting (which is a push stroke). The puukko with no finger guard is something that is “graduated up to” for people that have good knife skills and will use this tool as intended, for slicing and cutting (and not stabbing or thrusting). This version of the Puukko does have a slight ricasso for safety reasons.
The “GB2 Puukko” was designed and purpose-built by me to capture the essence of this traditional knife while adding features that make it exactly what he would want in a woodsman knife. It is designed to be all work with no frills…everything you need and nothing you don’t.
The original design was scratched out on a piece of yellow notebook paper, and I made the first one by hand at the Pathfinder Forge and Tool shop in Ohio. After 10 months of field testing by me personally, it is ready to release.
The original GB2 Puukko was born at Pathfinder Forge and Tool, it’s only fitting that they also be produced for you at PFT. It’s also fitting that since I was born and raised in the forests of southern Ohio, that my knife and sheath be made there as well.
The GB2 puukko is made from simple 1095 steel with a rugged forged finish; it replaces the hidden tang with a full tang; the flat spine has been sharpened to a crisp 90-degrees for processing tinder and striking a ferrocerium rod, and the tang is exposed on the end and has that same 90-degree so that it can be used for the same purposes; the handle is made from humble wooden scales in curly maple. It maintains the continuous curve and scandi grind that makes it such an excellent cutting and slicing tool.
This isn’t a “safe queen”, all pretty and polished and only brought out to show off to friends. This is a 100% functional utility knife designed for rugged use in the woods. The real beauty is in its simplicity and function.
The sheath for the GB2 Puukko is hand made in Ohio by Killinger Woodsmen Gear and Tool out of heavy bridle leather and is the perfect fit for this blade.
- Blade Length: 4”
- Overall Length: 8.5”
- Blade Thickness: 1/8”
- 1095 High Carbon Steel with Forged Finish
- Grind: Scandi
- Manufacturer: Pathfinder Forge and Tool, Jackson, OH
LIFETIME WARRANTY on the blade
- These knives are made by hand and your knife may vary slightly from the one pictured.
- These knives are HAND-FORGED, and what you see on the blade is NOT rust. This is not a polished blade.
- Be sure you understand how to properly maintain your knife and keep it oiled.
- You should wet cure your leather sheath before carrying your knife, and you should be conditioning your leather.
- This knife has NO FINGER GUARD OR RICASSO and is not meant for stabbing or thrusting, or for users with poor or undeveloped knife handling skills. Stabbing or thrusting with this knife can result in your hand slipping up onto the unprotected sharp edge of the knife resulting in injury. The user assumes all risks and is responsible for safe and proper use.
- The profile of this blade is not meant for prying, driving or removing screws, or “torture testing” with the tip of the knife. Proper use is important to the life of the knife.
- This knife is perfectly suited for the appropriate splitting of wood (batoning) material when applicable (one-stick fire, creating friction fire sets, softwood kindling, etc.). Splitting hardwoods or large diameter wood that forces you to baton the tip of the blade, etc., are not necessary or recommended.