Hudson Bay Axe 2 lb. head outfitted with an 18″ curved hickory handle.
2 lbs. Hudson Bay Axe head outfitted with an 18″ curved hickory handle. One-handed camp axe. Used for light splitting, chopping, driving tent pegs, etc. The pattern is thought to have originated from “Biscayan” in Northern Spain, near France.
French traders used this hand axe as a trade tool in their dealings with Native Americans for fur and other commodities in the Hudson Bay area, St. Lawrence River, and other trade routes.
Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and light splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge.
- The poll end is also heat treated.
- Head coated with boiled Linseed Oil over the as forged finish.
- 18″ curved American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening. Hafted high and proud.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a traditional double wedge system.
- Approximately 1-1/4 in. of overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.
Each axe comes complete with a Natural Leather Mask:
Natural Leather Mask, Riveted Design with Strap for Hudson Bay and Boy Axes
You always want to cover the bit of your axe when you aren’t using it. These Natural Leather Masks with a riveted design and adjustable leather strap is an economical alternative to more expensive sheaths. It covers the bit and the strap makes for a secure fit.
Prop 65 Warning: This product contains Nickel (metallic), a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.p65warnings.ca.gov.
Does this include a mask?
Yes, this includes a leather mask.
What's the weight?
The Hudson Bay head is 2 pounds and total is about 2.5 pounds.
What's the handle finish?
The hickory handle is finished with boiled linseed oil (BLO)