Kräftig Fire Starter Ferro Rod
The Überleben Kräftig is our wilderness workhorse. Made from a solid 1/2″ ferrocerium rod; the same Sånft-kōrr™ Ferro we use in our Zünden Series. The Kräftig includes a 3mm shock cord lanyard for multiple securing options, as well as a 6-function multi-tool scraper. Available in 5″ and 8″ versions.
Ferrocerium Rods are a blend of pyrophoric metals including iron, cerium, and magnesium that ignite when rapidly exposed to oxygen in the air. Use the included striker, or even better, the spine of your GB2 Metsa Puukko or Mora Carbon Garberg to remove massive amounts of pyrophoric material with each strike. This will easily ignite properly processed tinder.
- Up to 20,000 strikes from one beefy thick 1/2″ (12.7mm) ferrocerium rod
- Sånft-kōrr™ throws molten showers at 5,500º F (3,000º C)
- Ignite a fire in any weather, at any altitude
- Includes a Ferrocerium rod, multi-tool scraper, and 3mm shock-cord lanyard.
- Weight: 4.2 oz (5″) 6.2 oz (8″)
How long should this ferro rod last?
The Kraftig Fire Starter 5 should last up to 20,000 strikes.
How hot is the spark from one of these ferro rods?
The Kraftig Fire Starter 5 throws 5,500º F sparks.
Do you have to use a specialty tinder like charcloth for a ferro rod?
No, the hot spark from this rod will ignite most properly processed tinder resources.